Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Please let me know when we get to the "break" part...

Oxymoron, noun: a rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined.

Jumbo shrimp.

Deafening silence.

Spring break.

How's the week been going? This morning, while packing my husband's lunch, I found myself indadvertently cutting his sandwich into small squares and triangles.

Obviously, the first stage of Spring Break dementia is setting in.

I've been running around like a harried cruise ship director for the last few days, trying to entertain and keep the troops happy, which, quite honestly, is a whole lot more work than when we're not on "break." Not to mention the fact that the house looks like a bomb hit it.

After a weekend of rain, Monday morning rolled around with -- more rain. The kids were climbing the walls. So, we took a road trip to a local toy store, which resulted in me leaving my digital camera behind. (Why did I even have it out? I was taking a picture of Josh who looked so cute with a play helmet and sword. I'd love to share it with you but, I don't have my camera). Fortunately, someone did turn the camera in to the shop owner shortly after I left. Otherwise, the two placemats I purchased, featuring maps of the United States and the World would have cost about $150. Each. That would have been a pricey geography lesson.

Tuesday hit and -- Praise God! -- we got a call from a friend who was just as desperate for activity as we were. She rented out one of those play areas that has multiple inflatable bounce houses and slides. It was only $50 an hour to rent the place out. Everyone chipped in and it came out to $10 a family for an hour and a half of play time. That was the deal of the century. (Heck, I was so desperate, I would have paid $50 for just my kids). We had a blast and the kids finally got to burn off a little steam.

Today, it's warm and sunny -- so we're going to head to the park for a picnic and we may even tackle bowling on Friday. Yes, Spring Break is a thrill a minute here and clearly there will be no rest for the weary.

Which brings to mind another oxymoron:

Working vacation.

No comments: