Tuesday, May 13, 2008

For those who missed the show...

It's a bit of a slow news day around here, so I thought I'd take a second to fill y'all in on what went down on Mother's Day.

Because there is a story to tell.

Each year, we celebrate Mother's Day with brunch at the local golf club. It's a somewhat fancy affair. Last year I was about to give birth and my wardrobe options were severely limited. So, I was excited that this year I would have a chance to look presentable. I dove deep into my closet and emerged wearing a dress. This wardrobe choice made quite an impression on my oldest, Jillian (5).

Maybe it was the novelty of the dress.

Maybe she liked the feel of the fabric.

Whatever the reason, once I had the dress on, she wouldn't leave it alone. She kept tugging on it. Running the fabric through her fingers. Messing around with the hem.

So there we are. I'm standing in the buffet line fixing Jillian a plate. She is at my side, looking around the room, dancing in place, people watching.

"Do you want a waffle?"

"Yes."

"Do you want syrup?"

"Yes."

At this point, we head over to the fruit table.

"Do you want pineapple or strawberries?"

Jillian leans up against my leg and says, "Strawberries." So, I start picking out a few berries from the tray. That's when I noticed things felt a little "breezy" from behind. It took a few seconds for it to register, but as I turned to look down at Jilly, I realized she had pulled my dress up and was holding it there. My derriere on full display.

Did I mention I was holding plates in my hands?

"Jilly, what are you doing!?! Put my dress down!"

The sense of urgency at this age. Really impressive.

I manage a little half-turn so the dress falls out of her hands and quickly scan the room to see if anyone realizes they were just flashed. I think I'm in the clear.

Jilly and I quickly walk back to the table. As I sit down, I tell my sister, "You are not going to believe what just happened."

Her eyes wide, she asks, "You are wearing underwear, right?"

Uh, yeah. I'm no Britney Spears. But that's small comfort at this point.

"Did anyone see?"

That's when my dad piped up. "I think I was the only one."

Fabulous.

That's comforting and mortifying all at the same time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That's a great story, one that I'm sure Jillian will blush over some day. Maybe even as much as you did as she was doing it.

At least it was just dear old dad and not some nasty pervert.

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

That's pretty funny!

Kristen said...

That is TOO funny! Add that to my looooong list of why I never wear skirts. My boys are always grabbing onto my legs and it's just much "safer" to be wearing pants.
Happy Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

Tee hee! Thanks for making me laugh out loud!

mah-meeee said...

LOL! I am literally sitting here at work in my tiny cubicle laughing out loud. You are too funny!!!

Ok, this is up there with your lizard story. Oh man... LOL!

Not that it's any of my business, I hope your underwear was full coverage and not a thong. *wink*

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Oh, yes! Thankfully, "full coverage!" :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Very funny. This is my first visit here, and I'm really enjoying your posts.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

I finally came back and read some of the posts you mentioned. This one is hilarious. I would have been mortified.

Now, I want to go back and read more of your older posts. As if I needed anything else to keep me from housework. Thanks a lot Michelle. :)