Saturday, March 22, 2008

And the Wagon of Time Keeps Rollin' On

Over the past two years or so, I've been slowly coming to grips with a new reality.

Are you ready for it?


I'm not the youngest person in the room anymore.

Here's the way it works: You're living your life, minding your own business, doing your best to be a good wife and mother, and then one day, you slow down for a second to take a look in the mirror. Your smile lines are sticking around long after you've stopped smiling. You go meet kindergarten teachers at your daughter's new school and realize you could have been their babysitter in the not-so-distant past. Ditto for professional atheletes. You fill out an online form and when you have to enter a birth year, you have to scroll down...and scroll some more...before locating yours.

It's taken a bit of adjusting and, truth be told, I'm a little touchy about the matter. So, imagine my surprise when my sweet 5-year-old decides to discuss the "good ol' days" with me. Holding her Strawberry Shortcake storybook, she flips through the pages and discovers some "Berry Points" on the inside cover. These are points you collect to earn more Strawberry paraphenalia.

"Mom, did you collect Berry Points when you were little?"
"No, they didn't have them when I was little."

She lets this revelation sink in for a moment. And then,

"OH! (as if the lightbulb just went off) Were the cars like...(at this she disappears into her room and comes back displaying the cover of the latest book we've been reading) this?!?"

The book?

Little House on the Prairie.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh yes, they DID have some sort of "Berry Points" when we were little! At least I have a memory of carefully cutting strawberries out of my dolls' packaging. Maybe I just liked the strawberries.