Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Perspective



Years ago, in my life prior to diapers, sippy cups and naptimes, dandelions were weeds. I remember driving home from work one afternoon to find my front lawn blanketed in yellow. It was as if the dandelions had sprung up overnight, without any warning. They were an eyesore. A neighborhood embarrassment. Something to get rid of.

Last night, as I was cooking dinner my 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son, fresh from an evening walk with their grandparents, burst into the house in a flurry of excitement. In their hands -- dandelion bouquets -- thoughtfully picked for me.

Isn't it funny how things change? What I once saw as something worth getting rid of, I now placed in a crystal vase on my kitchen counter. It got me thinking about the power of perspective. How many things are there in my life that God wants me to see as a blessing, rather than a curse? How many day-to-day issues do I consistenly label as weeds, instead of stepping back and trying to find the beauty in the moment (even if the moment is fleeting). Laundry. Family relationships. My daughter's chronic eczema.

It's more than just looking at the cup as half full -- it's knowing that even if I can't find the good in the situation, perhaps I can finally step out of the way and give God a little room to work. That's where I'll discover the hidden blessings -- even amongst the weeds.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I've actually been saddened to discover that dandelions only last about a day in the vase. I currently have a photo on the fridge of my son wearing an "I love Mom" T-shirt holding up a fist full of dandelions. It's the best.